Thursday 20 October 2011

Should unemployed people take boring jobs?

Today I heard people on the radio commenting about young unemployed people and whether they should take ‘boring jobs in factories’, especially if they are well educated. Some thought they should not have to take these jobs.

There are two problems with the view that you should not have to do this as a well-educated person:

The assumption that everyone should have great jobs that they like
The assumption that jobs in factories are boring and bad

On the first point, I think we need to admit that there are times when we all need to do jobs we don’t particularly like. If you are like me you will have done plenty of these.

I have cleaned, been a barmaid, a waitress, an usherette (which is why I have seen Bambi 16 times) and worked in a factory amongst other things.
I soon learned that the people where you work and your attitude both make a big difference to how much you like your job.

These jobs were OK


When I was cleaning I quite enjoyed it. If I had a job like that now I know I would love doing it whilst listening to my ipod (there weren’t such things in those days).

When I worked in factories I met plenty of people who enjoyed their jobs. This does not mean they were bad, stupid or boring people. They were great people. At least one was a member of MENSA.

Camaraderie


In most of the factories where I worked the camaraderie was fantastic and many of those people were extremely skilled.

It’s always easy to look down on a job you don’t know much about.

There are always going to be things you have to do that you don’t like. I hate filling in my tax return and doing my expenses, but I know it has to be done. So I do it.

I don’t really like doing the washing up either, but I do it.

Too much TV


I wonder sometimes if people watch too many TV series where the characters have fantastic jobs or become instant successes and millionaires. So they forget that most successful people have had to start off doing jobs they didn’t particularly want or like. For many people, that’s how life is. So you have to make the best of it.

If you are a manager, you should be doing your best to ensure that people enjoy their time at work. It is possible to arrange this, even for people in jobs that don’t seem to be much fun.

Instant success


This is very rare. JK Rowling worked for years before she was a successful author and was rejected many times. Steve Jobs was not an instant success. They had to work hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment